Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Math lessons from the road

I learned an important math lesson on my run last night.

Two is twice as big as one.

So when I made the switch from one minute run, two minute walk intervals to two minute run, one minute walk intervals, I really felt the difference. It was a lot harder. But I also ran farther, so that was cool. It was also not cool, because my newfound distance put me on a path which included the only hills in Pinellas County. I’m trying to convince myself that this is a good thing, but my hips and gluts are currently telling me otherwise.

I almost didn’t go last night. I waited until 7:50 pm, when it was nearly too dark to leave. I kept thinking that I had worked harder than I needed to on Monday, so I could take a day off.

But I didn’t.

It wasn’t that I was looking forward to running; it’s that I wasn’t looking forward to not running, if that makes any sense. I didn’t want to come on here and admit defeat. I didn’t want to have to cross another day off my training schedule, knowing that I’d skipped actually skipped it. Part of me keeps thinking that these early days don’t matter. I can already run for two minute intervals. What really matters is the part when I start doing three milers, right?

Wrong. This is the part that matters most.

I also think I might be giving in and doing the Oldsmar Taphouse 5K.I really want to do it, mostly because I have two friends (see I’m A Pack Animal for more info on said friends) who are doing it, but also because it sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. But, there are two problems: one, I won’t be trained up in time, and two, it’s the weekend after my honeymoon. So not only will I have just taken a week off my training (aside from the hiking and mountain biking we plan to do in St. Lucia), but I will also have just taken two weeks off from my job at the adorable Pan y Vino in downtown Dunedin. The race is on a Friday night, and I’m just not sure if I want to give up another shift.

My other 5K race options are as follows:

The Rap River Run on June 13 in New Port Richey, FL. This poses similar problems to the Taphouse 5K, in that it’s the week after I get back from the honeymoon, so my training won’t be quite there yet. Plus I won’t have my posse with me. But the location is super convenient, just 30 minutes away. Still, it’s probably too soon, so it’s the least likely to win. We all know by know that I don’t like to fail, so I don’t want to do something I’m not ready for.

The Run Thru Hell on June 21 in Tampa, FL. Very convenient, but again still a little too early. The hurricane makeup date is July 25, though, which would be perfect. But I don't think it would be fair to the rest of the state of Florida to hope for a hurricane. Not to mention that, in the 10 years I've lived here, every time there's been a hurricane threat, it's never actually made it through Tampa.

Citrus Summer Showdown on July 11 in Inverness, FL. True, it’s nearly two hours away, but registration is free, and I’ll get to run with a bunch of hicks. It might be a small race, though.

Moss Park Forest Run on August 1 in Orlando. This is probably going to be the winner. OK, it’s two hours away. So I’d have to get up at 5am to get there on time. But the course sounds beautiful, and the timing is perfect; the schedule is a week after my 5K training would be complete. I would possibly even run a decent time.

There’s no saying I can’t do more than one, though…I know I want to run a few races before the marathon. I have plans to run the Turkey Trot 10K on Thanksgiving. It’ll be my excuse to eat as much food as I want that day.

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know..I am following you on twitter now in case you were wondering who that was. Thanks for the encouragement and help promoting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you pick the Moss Park one, let me know and I'll get things ready so you can stay over here and not have to get up so early on run day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete