Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm not as cool as I think I am

What I’m about to tell you might be TMI.*

Until last night, I didn’t have a holster for my iPod. So I just put it in its hot pink protective skin and stuck it in between my sports bra and my body. It was the perfect spot: secure, hidden, and easy to access.

Then I’d get home and have to pull my sweaty mp3 player out of my bra and wipe it off with a towel (I told you this might be TMI). I was totally terrified that I was going to short-out my only source of entertainment, not to mention I don’t like the looks I get when I go to adjust the volume and it looks like I’m rubbing myself.

So last night I went on a mission to get one of those armband things for my beloved 30g iPod. Actually, my mission started on Monday when I bought my new sports watch. But apparently the Sports Authority only thinks it’s necessary to carry accessories for the iPod Nano.

Yesterday, after my grueling stint of jury duty (during which I got put in the “reserve group,” meaning I had to sit around all freakin’ day), I took a trip over to Tampa’s International Plaza, aka the Mall for Rich Wannabes. I had to pick up a gift for a friend, and I wanted to visit that pretentious running store. Then I remembered that there was an Apple store at the International Plaza, and I thought surely I would get what I needed.

Nope.

All I could find were armbands for iPod Nanos, and a water-proof armband which, though very cool, was way out of my price at $69.95.

I claimed defeat and headed home. Then I decided to make a last minute stop at the Best Buy around the corner from my house. I was obviously staring at the iPod accessories with a puzzled expression, because a friendly sales associate came over to help, and the following conversation ensued:

Best Buy Dude: “Can I help you?”

Me: “Yeah…I’m looking for one of those sport arm things for my iPod? I have a 30g, but all I can find are cases for Nanos.” *puts on cool, I’m-so-hip-on-technology voice* “And some of us need a little more room than the Nano can provide.”

I thought I was so cool. That’s right, I’m so hip I need way more than 8g of space. I even need more than 16g of space. I need 30g of space to store all of my music (let’s ignore the fact that I’m currently using less than half of what my iPod can actually hold).

Best Buy Dude: *Pause* “Is that the same size as the iPod Classic?”

That’s when I realized. I got my current iPod the summer before my senior year of college, meaning that my technology is currently three years behind the times. Now, you can get iPods that have 120g of storage. Wow. I wouldn’t even know what to do with all that space. I’m totally happy with my 30g. But boy, did I feel stupid.

In the end, I found what I was looking for. Best Buy had two choices. True, my slightly clunky 30g is a little too fat for the case (kind of the way that my ass is a little too fat for my favorite pair of jeans, which I haven't been able to wear since college), but the strap is lightweight and barely noticeable on my arm. I did a couple of passes in my hallways to test the stability, and it seemed pretty good. The real test run (no pun intended…or was there?) will be tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes.

*TMI? Too much information.

No comments:

Post a Comment