Sunday, April 19, 2009

I ain't no holla back girl

I got whistled at today.

And since my iPod froze about three minutes into my run, I heard it, and rolled my eyes.

Big mistake.

In rolling my eyes, I acknowledged that this guy had whistled at me in the first place. Then, he looked me up and down, and said something to the effect of, “Hey there, sweet thang, whatcha doin?”

Really? What am I doing? Really?? I’m sorry, do the running shoes, sports bra, and look of ever-approaching exhaustion on my face not give that away?

Even in real life – on the street, or at a bar – I never understood what kind of woman responded to a cat call. Are there really women in the world who reach into their purses and pull out a pen and a piece of paper to write down their numbers for such winning lines as, “Yo, you lookin’ fine, girl!”? I can only assume there must be, because men continue to try and pick me up this way.

I wonder if this guy actually thought that I would stop and talk to him. Maybe if I had responded with more than my obligatory annoyed expression he wouldn’t have known what to do next. Perhaps this man is so shy that he can only cat-call at women as they run by, because he knows no serious runner (and, let’s face it, one week in I’m obviously a serious runner) would actually stop to chat. And if any woman ever stopped to chat, I don’t know what he’d do. I don’t think he could handle it.

Anyway, it’s a good thing I’m getting married. Otherwise I might have needed a date, and I might have stopped, and then my whole training schedule would have been thrown off.

On another note, I want to take a moment here to thank you, dear readers. Most, if not all, of the traffic driven to this blog comes from my Facebook profile, and my last post seemed to drive a lot of traffic. I posted the status update “Heather is a failure at www.RunLikeA-Girl.blogspot.com” and I got a ton of comments. Apparently, you people like it when I fail. In real life, multiple people commented to me about how much they enjoyed my blog. In any case, knowing that people are actually reading this makes me feel more committed to success. I don’t want to let you down.

Week two starts tomorrow. I have plans to run with two lovely ladies. Generally I’m against running with others because I’m afraid that, after seeing what I look like when I’m exercising, people will stop being my friend. But according to Runner’s World magazine, people who run with others are more successful. And I’m ready to be successful. So ladies, do your worst.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, YES, we all enjoy reading about your epic fails.

    Juuust kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather! I'm one of the ones who found your blog through facebook stalking :) It's good stuff because I decided to train for my 1st half marathon this year, starting from scratch like you. It's 2 weeks away now, and it's fun to read back about how it felt at first. Kepp writing & running!

    ReplyDelete