Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Swing and a miss...then a touchdown! (What sport is this, again?)

I have to tell you the truth. I didn’t run last night. I tried. I did. I came home. I purposely didn’t eat, because I knew if I did, I would be too full to run. So I waited until the sun got low in the sky, and I put on my workout pants. I put on my watch, my shoes, and my iPod, and I stepped into the warm afternoon air.

And nearly suffocated on the humidity.

FML.

It is just too hot in Florida to go running after work.

So I decided I would try for a morning run. Yes, I realize that I have previously spoken out against this. Vehemently. But I realized that it was the only way that I was going to make it without dying of heat exhaustion. I planned to tell my husband to get me out of bed on his way to work.

Which means I got to finish my book last night AND go for a run today.

My run this morning was not as successful as I’d hoped it would be. The first half went great. I was not happy at first. It took me 20 minutes to get out of bed, then another 10 to get dressed and out the door. I walked to the end of the block much slower than I usually do, and decided that I would probably just do five minute intervals, even though I should be above 10 minutes by now.

I dragged my feet at first. But then, slowly, I started falling into the right rhythm again. It was easy, natural, and I started to remember everything I loved about running.

The only other person I passed on the trail was a dog out walking his owner – the owner’s head lolled comically from side-to-side as she pumped her arms wildly trying to keep up with the huge Weimaraner. It made me laugh aloud. The sun was bright pink in the purple clouds. It was a little muggy, but so quiet and peaceful. It was truly lovely. I ran for longer than 10 minutes, farther than I thought I would, farther than I planned, farther than I needed to.

And then, during my first walking interval, my iPod froze. Again. I banged it against my arm. I shook it up and down. I jammed on the power button with all my might. But it was stuck.

Suddenly, running was the most difficult task in the world. My cankles (yes, cankles. I did not mistype. If you have seen my legs, you know that this statement is correct. I feel no shame in it, because it’s the truth) felt as if they had anvils attached to them. Each step was torturous. My chest heaved with every breath. The slight fog was no longer pleasant – it was suffocating, and I was swallowing the clouds whole. My loose shirt was not comfortable; it was a thick, cotton, voluminous balloon. I wanted nothing more than to hit the railroad tracks, the point where my run stopped and my cool-down began.

I managed to stick it out for another 12-minute interval and made my way back home. It’s amazing how much difference a small distraction like music, or someone to run with, can make. It takes my mind off the pain and puts it on something else, or at least lets me focus on what’s around me. I know a lot of runners scoff at those who need to use music, but I don’t care. It helps me focus. Maybe one day, all I’ll need to focus is the beauty of the run, the cool sweat on my forehead.

Until then, I need to figure out how to re-set my iPod.

I think I’m going to give the A.M. run another go tomorrow. I hate getting up early. But having the trail all to myself was awfully nice.

Not to mention avoiding the 100-degree weather.

3 comments:

  1. you can reboot an iPod (any model since the fourth-generation black-and-white-LCD ones) by holding Menu and the center button until it reboots. Don't let that be an excuse not to run :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, way too go!! It is hard to get up in the morning to exercise. Remember when I was getting up in the morning and ridding my bike to work? LOL. Keep it up :-) Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Daniel...ah, yes! I always have to look it up. I just can never remember it when I'm out. I'll have to write it down and tape it to the back of my iPod.
    @Camille...but you have way too much energy in the morning as it is.

    ReplyDelete