Monday, May 4, 2009

Motivating the masses

Today I need some motivation.

I’ve hit a bit of a rut, and after a great week of training, I skipped Thursday, rode bikes instead of ran on Saturday, and skipped Sunday. I have very limited time tonight since I’m planning an AWESOME night out with my lady friends, so I need to basically change into my clothes and get going as soon as I get home.

I also know there are some other runners who are reading this blog. (I thought about doing shout-outs, but I didn’t want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, or make it obvious that someone who had said they were reading my blog wasn’t actually reading, then when I said, ‘Hey, Sally, did you see that I mentioned you in my blog?’ Sally would get all awkward because, since she only said she was reading my blog to be polite, she hadn’t actually noticed that I mentioned her, and she wouldn’t know in what capacity, so she wouldn’t know what to say and things would just get painful.) So in my effort to motivate the masses, including the mass that is my lazy butt, I have gathered some of the most motivational running articles I could find.

The story of Matt Long. Are you kidding me? How could I ever complain about aching, say I don’t feel like running, or lay around all day when it’s nice and breezy out. Sure, this guy was a great athlete before his accident, but wow…there’s no excuse for an 8-9 hour marathon time for me, but he has a great one.

The Newbie Chronicles. A series almost as funny as mine. OK, actually they’re probably funnier, and very honest.

Team Hoyt. This links to their bio page, so you can read about the amazing story of this father/son team. Dad pushes his son - literally, because his son is in a wheelchair - through marathons and triathalons. What an amazing bonding experience it must be for both of them. They've been doing it for a very long time, and Dad is still going strong at 65!

Dawn Dais’ Web site. A first-timer who wrote a book about her experience. She reminds me of myself, a little. Of course I don't have a book deal. Yet. (Hey! All you publishers reading this! Now's your chance! Email me with a multi-million dollar deal! I promise I won't let you down! Heck, at this point I'd probably do it for $20...)

And some completely cheesy running cartoons:

Since I’m currently in love with LOST:
And because I often wonder why I do it:


Source: www.savagechickens.com

And I don’t know why I think this is so hilarious, but…


Hopefully this works. I can feel myself excited already. And it's only 85 degrees out! Maybe by 5:30 it will have cooled off...

Or maybe I'm delusional.

1 comment:

  1. oo I need some motivation too! Thanks! I love the Newbie stories haha.

    ReplyDelete